Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Thing # 16

LibraryThing: Where Books Meet Web 2.0

OMG!!! This "thing" is amazing!!! I mean, being able to create a library-quality catalog of your books and connecting with people that shares your reading interests sounds just wonderful.

I like the fact that to find a book you are looking for, you do not need to type everything, just a few words and voila! This is a very easy way to search, sort, edit information and tag books. You can even rate them!!! At the same time you are able to receive recommendations given by people who like to read and that are not suggesting you what to read just because they are willing to sell you something.

Another thing that I find useful is that you can be updated on the upcoming events at your favorite bookstores.

I liked the fact that you can search in more than 690 libraries around the world. This has allowed me to find books in my native language, something that sometimes is frustrating when you go to a bookstore and they have no clue of what you are talking about... And to make an educated decision, the features Zeitgeist and Suggester are very useful.

Finally, I can see classrooms using the Groups 50 Book Challenge, a way to keep a whole class motivated and engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment