Saturday, October 3, 2009

Thing # 5

Three Cheers For Rio!
RSS: Rich Site Summary or Real Simple Syndication
A reflective blog about an item of interest from my reader:


Wow!!! It is incredible how technology is making our lives easier more and more every day. Thanks to the RSS, we can have information that matters to us delivered to one place, without being bombarded by the nasty SPAM.

I usually do not read newspapers anymore, even though I always try to be informed. Due to this "Thing # 5 Learning Activity" now I am subscribed to the home page of the New York Times.

While quickly scanning the news, I found one that caught my attention: Being born in South America, it is very exciting for me to know that for the first time ever a South American city has been elected as the host city for the 2016 Olympic Games.

It is well known that the International Olympic Committee (I.O.C.) tries to positively affect the cities chosen to host the Olympic Games, and this time it is not the exception: This time not only Brazil would be able to develop faster, but the entire region - and more over, its people, for the first time in their lives, will feel so close the spirit of the Olympic Games.

On the other hand, personally speaking, it would have been nice that Chicago had won, now that I live in the United States. I kind of feel bad for Chicago and its citizens, who had already planned celebrations all over the place and who were astonished after the results.

Anyhow, the United States have hosted the Olympic Games before, and maybe it was time for a region usually forgotten to feel the joy of winning such an important privilege.

1 comment:

  1. I have been following the news about the Olympics, too, but had not heard the word that Rio was named. We have been out of town and without my technology! It does help us keep informed "on the spot."

    ReplyDelete