Friday, October 30, 2009

Thing # 21

Google is Not Just For Searching Anymore

I have been using some Google products which I consider incredible. I love to use Google Earth, Google Maps, and iGoogle to name some of the Google webtools my family and I enjoy visiting.

I would say that the first time I explored Google Earth, I was amazed that I could see the apartment complex I was living in at that moment from a satellite view. The images were so clear that you could appreciate lots of details. And notice that I have not said "every detail" because I think that that kind of view might be dangerous for the homeland security if it is viewed by the wrong eyes, but I am sure that those views are possible (like the ones showed in the movie Enemy of the State, where Will Smith is the protagonist).



But when I got really astonished was when I could see my parents' house in Peru, the clinic where my daughter was born, the roads I drove for several years... I mean, I am out of words here to let you know how I felt.


View Larger Map

Where you see Clinica Adventista is where my daughter was born and it is located in Miraflores, Lima, Peru. That is a view embedded from Google Maps, customized after converting it from Google Earth.


Thinking about education, I think that learning social studies - especially geography - would be much more meaningful for the students if they are able to see the maps in an aerial view, where they can actually see the places they are studying about. And this is something that Google Maps and Google Earth have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment