Saturday, October 31, 2009

Thing # 22

Explore Social Networking

I was aware of these websites and about how they work. I think it is really nice to keep in touch with family and friends and be updated with what is happening in their lives.

On the other hand, I think that you should not put all your eggs in one basket... For me, your private life needs to be kept that way: private.

Specially being a teacher, I think it is very important that your students, their parents, your coworkers and any other person related to the school have you in a very high concept... What I am trying to say is that you should never give anyone motive to doubt about your integrity as a professional, but more over, as a person.

You know your friends, and you trust them. Your friends know their friends, and they trust them. But I am sure that at some point there might be a "weak link" that might not follow the rule, who might have posted a picture that might be offensive or inappropriate for some people . There is no way you can control what others post: pictures, messages, phrases, signs, etc.

And for an educated adult, that might not be a problem, you would take things as from where they come, and ignore all the nonsense. But some people might not understand the fact that whoever wrote those things was the friend of the friend of the friend of your friend. Some people will just relate that posting to you, then the gossip will start and suddenly, without even notice, you could be in the middle of the storm. Maybe I am old fashioned or too careful, but those are my sincere thoughts.

And when it comes to kids, I think this could be a very dangerous place to be. If you have kids of your own and they are young and naive, and they use this networking, think about it, you could have the enemy in your own house without even knowing it... Scary!!!

I can see educational applications for these sites, but I am afraid that my fears regarding what I have explained before, might stop me from trying to introduce students to this type of networking, or at least to facilitate its use.

For the assignment I created a profile, but I am not sure I will like to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment