Friday, October 23, 2009

Thing # 17

Podscasts: No iPod needed!

Before exploring this "thing", I felt overwhelmed every time I heard the words Podcast, Podcasting and iPod. It is something I cannot explain. I had no clue what those words meant, but if I could avoid them, that was exactly what I tried to do. At least until today, when finally I had no choice but to face them. Why did those words overwhelm me? I have no clue. Weird, huh? Anyway, while working on the discovery exercise, I found out that there was nothing to be concern about. It is the opposite. Now that I know what a Podcast is, I wonder how I grew up without the possibility to watch my favorite show if I missed the time for the broadcasting and have forgotten to schedule its recording on my parents "Betamax". Do any of you even remember what a Betamax is? Probably not. Really, it amazes me how fast technology is changing everything around us.

Thanks Julien Tee for your picture from Flickr!


Back to our learning activity, I previewed Dragonfly TV Podcasts, Mugglecast: The #1 Harry Potter Podcast, the Math Factor Podcast among others. I found this to be a smooth learning experience. I consider podcasting an excellent way to deliver information to people interested in a certain topic. I find it practical, because you just need a video camera and/or a microphone, and voila, you are done.

I believe that using podcasting in the classroom would be really successful because of the students' engagement. I think that my next step would be registering in Podcasting in the Classroom and Garageband so I could be able to plan, create, and publish effective podcasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment